Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Migraine Free with Magnesium?

As you know, I do a lot of research on migraines and everyone seems to have an opinion on different herbs and supplements to help ease or cure migraines. Popular ones include butterbur, feverfew, B2, B12, and magnesium just to name a few. Some of these recommendations are made from doctors, but often articles are written by people (just like me) recommending what has helped them with their migraines.

An article I recently read discusses a study done in which patients with migraines were given magnesium, and a majority of them showed significant improvements in the reduction of their migraines (exciting words for anyone who suffers from migraines!). Here is the article for you to check out: http://www.essense-of-life.com/info/tmigraines.htm

One thing I really liked about this article is that it not only discusses the results of the study, but why magnesium works. So often, a doctor hands me a medication or treatment plan insisting I try it, but doesn't explain why it should work. I knew a lack of serotonin (a chemical in the brain) was a cause of migraines, but this article explains having a surplus of serotonin can also be a cause of migraines! I definitely learned some things from this article, and hope you do too.

P.S. If you don't already take magnesium, check with your doctor to see if it is ok for you to start!

Wishing everyone a peaceful, healthy day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Magnesium did not work for me but I have heard that for many people it does wonders. Another supplement to try (does great for me) is CoQ10 for prevention. 200 mg 2 times daily.

Lou said...

^ It can depend on the type of magnesium you take - some are better absorbed than others.