Monday, February 18, 2008

A little bit about me...

I have had migraines since I was a teenager, but wasn't diagnosed with them until I was in college. The first time I ever had a migraine I thought I had the stomach flu. Up until then the stomach flu was the one of the worst pains I had felt, had sudden onset, and was the only thing I threw up from on a continuous basis from. When I had more than one "stomach flu" in one month I went to my family doctor, only to find out the blinding head pain and vomiting were migraines not a flu.

From there until where I am today has been one hell of a journey *grin*. My migraines grew progressively worse until for a year and a half I was bedridden, completely debilitated by what felt like one long, never ending migraine (turns out it was actually thousands of individual migraines constantly overlapping each other). I'll spare you guys the long story, and just say I tried everything from eastern to western medicine, and lots of things in between looking for pain relief and help. Literally tens of thousands of dollars went to practioners who promised they could help, only to realize months later that I was out of their league. It wasn't until I was referred to a neurologist who specializes in migraines I finally found the help I had been seeking. It was so nice to not only have someone really listen to me, but to have someone actually have answers to my questions!

With the help of the neurologist, and research I did on my own I've come almost full circle. I still get migraines occasionally, but nothing compared to the debilitating, constant pain I was once in. Since realizing my own goal of regaining health, it has been my goal to reach out to others living with migraines. Migraines was described by one person as a "medical mystery" disease which I thought very appropriate. There really aren't any outward signs of distress or injury, so many assume migraines can't really be as bad as they're made out to be. Migraine can be a very isolating disease (yep, it is a disease). I honestly thought I was the only person who had migraines as bad as I did...it wasn't until I got control of my health that I found there are so many others out there in similar positions! I never want anyone to feel lonely, isolated, depressed, or the physical pain of migraines. I know I can't eradicate migraines from the world, but my goal is to share with others through personal experience (and from the mass amount of reaseach I've done and continue to do) that no one with migraines is in a hopeless situation. Finding the path to your specific treatment plan that works on your migraines takes time and patience, but know and be empowered knowing there are things even right now you can start doing to begin to take back your life and start to live pain free! Hopefully, this will be a good resource for care givers as well. I always welcome questions and comments! I would love for this to become a safe, secure place for those suffering (or surviving *smile*) a not often openly discussed disease to relax and be able to relate with each other.

Wishing everyone a peaceful, healthy day!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Hi Sarah, Thanks for all the info on migraines. You HAVE done a lot of research and it helps because I dont have the patience nor do i feel well enough to do any research. It hurts just being on the computer. Reading and concentrating are really hard. Sometimes I need my hubby to read it to me and explain it to me, because i cant do it.
Anyway, Thank you again for shedding some light on migraines and the treatment of them.
Take care...Erin

NoMoreMigraines said...

erin - Thank you for your kind words. I've been there, and can definitely relate. I used to have my guy read things out loud to me (and he would do research and tell me what he had found) for the same reasons. I'm glad some of the information helps. Hang in there...your help is out there! Let me know if you have questions, or just want to talk to someone who can relate.